Thursday, May 30, 2013

The lost generation on a Thursday

Hardworking, husbandly, and fatherly men used to be the norm. You were looked down upon if you did not put in an honest days work to support your family. Not only did these men have the skills to fix anything with a screwdriver and their bare hands they knew how to live life. Accomplishments were a happy healthy home and great friends. The sweetest smell was 5 a.m., nothing was more pure than a newborn and a kiss to their wife was ritual.  These lost men come with stories of real and will give an honest word. Call it old fashioned or raised a little to "ranch" but there are some things men have let slip through the cracks. The lost generation worked because it was their part in the world, they made their kids learn manners and do chores so they could grow up disciplined with a respect for elders and authority, they loved a woman and only one woman and treated her like his best friend.

One of my favorite things they knew how to do was raise a young man. Being the youngin' that I am it's rare to run across men my age that have the old school values, but I was privileged enough to find one and now get to spend the rest of my life with him.  It's even sweeter on the heart when you are able to speak with and hear the stories of the "old generation" man who made your man the way he is. With every word Superman's grandpa spoke I understood why Superman was hard, calm, thorough, loving and full of spirit. I may not have gotten a childhood of stories from him but the ones I did get will stay with me forever. He was one of the last of the greatest and left himself in the man in my life.

Love,

Jess




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking!